In a rare move, Prince Harry and Prince William have issued an emotional joint statement after a recent news report included claims about their relationship, which the brothers described as “false.” The statement was issued mere hours before a crisis talk was held at Sandringham pertaining to Harry and his wife Meghan’s decision to “step back” as members of the royal family — no doubt a time where emotions were already running high within the tight-knit family.
The statement did not name the newspaper, however, it is understood UK publication The Times of London had a front-page story about Harry and Meghan’s shock decision, which included “source” quotes claiming that Harry and Meghan had been pushed away because of William’s “bullying attitude.”
“Despite clear denials, a false story ran in a UK newspaper today speculating about the relationship between The Duke of Sussex and The Duke of Cambridge,” the brothers’ statement read.
“For brothers who care so deeply about the issues surrounding mental health, the use of inflammatory language in this way is offensive and potentially harmful.”
The unprecedented statement comes after The Times shared an emotional update about how Prince William feels “sad” about his separation from his brother.
“I’ve put my arm around my brother all our lives and I can’t do that any more; we’re separate entities,” the Prince reportedly told a friend.
“All we can do, and all I can do, is try and support them and hope that the time comes when we’re all singing from the same page.”
Rumors of a rift between Harry and William were escalated in October 2019 when Harry spoke candidly of his relationship with his bother in the ITV documentary, Harry and Meghan: An African Journey.
“We don’t see each other as much as we used to because we’re so busy,” Harry admitted about his brother.
“But I love him dearly and the majority of the stuff is created out of nothing. But as brothers, you have good days, you have bad days.”
It certainly seems as though the brothers are attempting to come to an agreement.
On January 13, a crisis talk was held at Sandringham in response to Harry and Meghan’s bombshell announcement that they would step back from their royal roles.
The meeting was attended by the Queen, Prince Charles, Prince William, Prince Harry, and Meghan — who is believed to have dialed into the meeting from where she is currently staying in Canada.
Mere hours after the meeting, the Queen issued a rare personal statement outlining the next steps for Meghan and Harry.
“My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family,” she said.
Elaborating that while she would have preferred them to remain full-time working members of the royal family, she “respects and understands” their wishes.
She also confirmed that Meghan and Harry do not wish to be reliant on public funds, and that they will transition between the UK and Canada as their home bases during this time.
This article originally appeared on our sister site, Now to Love.