Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve been obsessed with all things beauty. Whether I was being mesmerized by the fluorescent beauty displays at my local department stores or drooling over my mother’s monthly Avon catalogue, my fascination has always been steadfast. So when I was offered the chance to learn more about up and coming brands at this year’s Indie Beauty Expo, I jumped on it. With over 200 brands in attendance, this year’s expo was immense, but I was determined to find something that truly impressed me before the day was through, and I did — Province Apothecary’s Dual-Action Jade Roller.
Province Apothecary’s Dual-Action Jade Roller
Based in Toronto, Province Apothecary is a natural and cruelty-free skincare brand founded by Holistic Esthetician Julie Clark. I came across Province Apothecary early in my journey through the expo, and aside from their beautiful packaging, I was immediately struck by their Dual Action Jade Roller ($35.44, Amazon). One of the most popular beauty tools of the last five years, it seems that every other day another brand releases their own version the ancient beauty tool. However, the thing that struck me different about this one was that instead of two smooth ends, this one had a smooth end and a studded end.
Designed to be the ultimate beauty tool, this jade roller combines the benefits associated with jade rolling (like lymphatic drainage and reduced inflammation) with the benefits of derma rolling (like skin elasticity maintenance and improved product absorption). But unlike derma rolling, this jade roller doesn’t actually puncture the skin, something that interested me as I’m not afraid to admit I have a fear of needles.
Do jade face rollers actually work?
With any beauty trend there are bound to be skeptics and I was one of them. Jade rollers were everywhere. From the aisles of my favorite beauty stores to the pages of beloved magazines, it felt as if this little stone tool was taunting me. But, I was convinced that the resurgence of these rollers was just a fad that would pass with time — until I picked this one up.
Now everyone’s results will vary, that’s just how things work. But for me, this jade roller made such a visible difference I don’t think I’ll ever put it down. My biggest areas of concern are my forehead and chin. In my adolescence, I suffered from severe acne that left the skin on my forehead and chin scarred and riddled with texture. I’d always been interested in trying out derma rolling (also known as microneedling) but as I said before I’m not the biggest fan of needles. No matter how many people explained to me that derma rolling is actually painless, I just couldn’t bring myself to try it. So coming across this jade roller felt like an answer to my prayers.
As a skeptic, I wanted to put this tool to the test and decided to take a two month journey to what I hoped would be better skin. By following the suggested routine, I began to notice improvements in a about a month. In fact, I wasn’t the only one who noticed, with friends and family pointing how much smoother my skin looked. Scars that had been a part of my face since I was 13 began to fade and my skin felt much smoother. So do jade rollers actually work? The jury may still be out on that one, but for me, the answer is yes. Is my scarring gone? Of course not, that’s not how skin works. But has it (and my confidence in my skin) improved? Tenfold.
How to Use the Dual-Action Jade Roller
Now if you’re anything like me, first glance at this tool left you wondering how to use it. Like all jade rollers, there’s a proper way to use these tools to actively benefit your skin. Here are five tips on how to use the Dual-Action Jade Roller.
1. Start with skincare. Like we said above, the studded end of this jade roller mimics a derma roller, which can help with product absorption. So, before you start rolling, be sure to properly nourish your skin with your favorite serum. I personally love pairing this tool with either a retinol infused serum, like Kypris Beauty’s Moonlight Catalyst ($98, Nordstrom) or a hydrating serum like Province Apothecary’s Rejuvenating Plus Hydrating Face Serum ($76, Detox Market).
2. Start from the neck up with the studded side. Our necks are one of the first places on our bodies to show signs of aging. To ensure the skin on your neck is as properly treated as the skin on your face, work your way up. By making it a part of your jade rolling routine, properly caring for this part of your skin will become second nature. Once your neck is taken care of, simply proceed from the jawline up.
3. Cool down with the smooth side. Once you’ve massaged and stimulated your skin with the studded side of the jade roller, it’s time to switch over to the smooth side. Much like any muscle of the body, the ones you’ve just stimulated in your face require a cool-down period. For this side, start from the forehead down, rolling from center of your face out. By doing this, you’ll help quell any redness and puffiness.
4. Wash your jade roller. As with any beauty tool, taking proper care of your jade roller will help it last. So if you’re wondering how to wash a jade roller, it’s easier than you’d think. Simply use a bit of gentle soap and lukewarm water to lightly wash your roller. Don’t be too abrasive as jade rollers are extremely delicate.
5. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Results only come from dedicated use so be sure you repeat this routine two to three times a week. If your skin is on the more sensitive side, repeat once a week.
For a visual example of this routine, check out Province Apothecary’s how-to below:
Ready to get your hands on the Dual-Action Jade Roller? Follow the link below to try it for yourself today!
Where to buy: $35.44, Amazon
See more of our best product recommendations. We write about products we think our readers will like. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the supplier.